Ads

Woolwich: Rise In Attacks On Muslims

Attacks on Muslims have increased sharply after the murder of a soldier in a London street, amid a series of arrests linked to the backlash.
Faith Matters, an organisation that works to reduce extremism, said more than 160 incidents had been reported to its helpline since Drummer Lee Rigby's killing on Wednesday.
That compared to the average of four to eight cases a day reported to the group before the attack.
It came as three men were arrested by Northumbria Police ahead of an English Defence League march planned for Saturday afternoon in Newcastle, for allegedly posting racist tweets.
They followed a series of arrests for comments related to the murder made on social media.
Fiyaz Mughal, from Faith Matters , told Sky News: "There's been a substantial spike (in reports of Islamophobia).
"They range from general abuse to visible Muslims on the street, to graffiti at mosques, through to a firebomb at a mosque.
"I guess in all of this scenario, the individuals who killed Lee said they wanted a war and we don't want to go down that route so we're asking for cool and calm heads."
Meanwhile, a 22-year-old man was due to appear before magistrates in Lincoln charged with making malicious comments on Facebook.
Benjamin Flatters, from the city, was arrested on Thursday after complaints were made to Lincolnshire Police about comments made on the social networking site which were allegedly of a racist or anti-religious nature.
A second man was visited by officers and warned about his activity on social media, a spokesman for the force added.
That came after two men were arrested and released on bail for making alleged offensive comments on Twitter about the murder.
A 23-year-old and a 22-year-old, both from Bristol, were held under the Public Order Act on suspicion of inciting racial or religious hatred.
Unemployed 28-year-old Adam Rogers, of Woolwich, has also been charged by police after allegedly posting an offensive message on Facebook.
And Michaela Turner, 23, of Southsea, has been charged with sending a "grossly offensive" message on Facebook - a post that has since been removed.
Surrey Police said a 19-year-old man had also been charged in connection with comments placed on a social media website following the murder of the soldier.
Mohammed Mazar, of Woking, has been charged with improper use of public electronic communications network under Section 127 of the Communications Act 2003.
SHARE

Author

Hey, I'am Babanature. A webdesigner, blogspot developer, UI/UX Designer and entertainment personality. I'am also a business speaker, marketer, Blogger and Javascript Programmer.

  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment