Woolwich Terror Suspect Friend Arrested

MI5 attempted to recruit one of the Woolwich murder suspects as an informer six months ago - according to a childhood friend who was arrested shortly after making the claim.
Abu Nusaybah said Michael Adebolajo had rejected approaches from MI5 operatives, but that his friend had denied knowing certain individuals the security service was interested in.
Nusaybah was arrested shortly after making the claims in a Newsnight interview, according to the BBC.
A preliminary report into what the intelligence services knew about the two Woolwich terror attack suspects will be handed over to an inquiry next week, Sir Malcolm Rifkind, chairman of the parliamentary Intelligence and Security Committee said.
Sir Malcolm said he had been briefed by the director general of MI5, Andrew Parker, a couple of days ago and added: "What we will be wishing to know is to what extent the intelligence services had any awareness of the two individuals."
Nusaybah said in his television interview that he thought Adebolajo had undergone a "change" following his detention by security forces on a 2012 trip to Kenya.
He said Adebolajo suggested he had been physically and sexually abused while he was interrogated in the African country, and after this he became withdrawn and "less talkative - he wasn't his usual bubbly self".
Nusaybah said Adebolajo told him that when he returned to the UK he was "followed by MI5" who were "knocking on his door" - a claim that is unverified by Whitehall.
Nusaybah said: "His wording was, 'They are bugging me - they won't leave me alone.'
"He mentioned initially they wanted to ask him if he knew certain individuals.
"But after him saying that he didn't know these individuals, what he said was they asked him if he would be interested in working for them.
"He was explicit in that he refused to work for them but he did confirm he didn't know the individuals."
Scotland Yard refused to confirm the arrested man was Nusaybah, but a spokesman said a 31-year-old man was arrested at BBC premises in London on suspicion of terrorism offences.
The arrest was made at 9.30pm on Friday by officers from the Metropolitan Police 's Counter-Terrorism Command on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.
He was taken to a south London police station for questioning.
A Scotland Yard spokesman said the case was not directly linked to the murder of soldier Lee Rigby on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, detectives investigating the killing of Drummer Rigby are questioning a 29-year-old man on suspicion of conspiracy to murder, as well as suspects Adebolajo and Michael Oluwatobi Adebowale.
Both remain in hospital after being shot by police when they charged towards armed officers.
Two women - aged 29 and 31 - have both been released without charge after they were held on Thursday on suspicion of conspiracy to murder.
The family of 25-year-old Drummer Rigby paid a touching tribute when they spoke for the first time on Friday.
The soldier's stepfather, Ian, read a statement from the family: "What can we say about Lee, our hero? We are so so proud of Lee. When Lee was born the family adored him, he was a precious gift given to us.
"Lee's dream growing up was always to join the Army, which he succeeded in doing. He was dedicated and loved his job."
Drummer Rigby's wife Rebecca, the mother of their two-year-old son Jack, said through tears that he was "a devoted father".
The family also revealed the last text message that Drummer Rigby sent to his mother Lyn.
It said: "Goodnight mum, I hope you had a fantastic day today because you are the most fantastic and one in a million mum that anyone could ever wish for.
"Thank you for supporting me all these years, you're not just my mum you're my best friend. So goodnight, love you loads."
Drummer Rigby was hit by a car and then attacked with weapons including a knife and a meat cleaver.
He has been formally identified but the cause of his death was not confirmed by a post-mortem examination. An inquest will be opened, Scotland Yard said.
His suspected attackers, who were caught on film in the wake of the murder, were British and of Nigerian descent. They were known to security services.
A book of condolence has been opened at Woolwich Town Hall, where opening hours will be extended over the bank holiday weekend to allow the public to pay their respects.
A steady stream of well-wishers are continuing to lay flowers near the scene of the murder, with bouquets numbering in their thousands.
Many carried cards and messages, while a Union flag was tied to railings with the message: "You lived a hero and died at the hands of two cowards," written across it.
A Manchester United flag was also left, in recognition of Drummer Rigby's favourite football team, along with dozens of candles, balloons and soft toys.

Yahoo New Uk


Hey, I'am Babanature. A webdesigner, blogspot developer, UI/UX Designer and entertainment personality. I'am also a business speaker, marketer, Blogger and Javascript Programmer.

  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment


Post a Comment