Half-naked women make feminist statement at Paris Fashion Week

Two women from the Ukranian feminist group FEMEN stormed the Nina Ricci runway at Paris Fashion Week, covered in slogan written in black paint.

The pair disrupted the ethereal SS14 collection by the French fashion designer, shocking the FROW including Olivia Palermo and Anna Dello Russo.

 
It's not been made clear exactly what the women were protesting against, sexism in the fashion industry, the treatment of models, or something more specific to Ricci herself, but the group is known for it's media-savvy actions, often involving nudity to grab attention.

The slogans written on the women's naked torsos read 'Model don't go to brothel' and 'Fashion Dictaterror'. They were also shouting 'fashion fascism' as the ran onto the catwalk, before being dragged away by security.

The group has previously had run-ins with the fashion industry, causing chaos on the Versace runway at a previous Fashion Week for its use of 'anorexic' models. Femen also crashed the final of Germany's Next Top Model, hosted by Heidi Klum.

The model who happened to be walking at the time was none other than Next-Kate-Moss-labelled Hollie-May Saker, who reportedly punched one of the protesters

Hollie-May told the Liverpool Echo: “I punched her – I didn’t mean to but she grabbed my arm and I just wanted to get her off me.

“I was the 19th girl out of the catwalk and I could hear screaming behind me.

“The next thing I just see half-naked women with black marker pen scrawled across their bare chests and that’s when she came at me.

“As she grabbed my arm she lifted my skirt exposing me – I pulled my arm back with such force that I landed a punch square on her nose.

“I was so angry but I knew I had to be professional so I carried on walking with a bit of sassiness. My Scouseness came out a bit but I wish it had come out a bit more. Thinking about it now I wish I’d pushed them both off the stage because they ruined my favourite show."

And this is why we love Fashion Week.

Source
Yahoo Fashion

Comments