Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Rihanna battles DC Comics over 'Robin,' Batman very upset

DC Entertainment is attempting to stop the masked villain, known to residents of Gotham as Rihanna, from trademarking her real first name "Robyn," claiming it is too similar to the name of Batman's trusty sidekick "Robin."

Rihanna’s firm, Roraj Trade, attempted to trademark the name on June 23, 2014, but DC blocked the patent by filing a complaint in the US Patent and Trademark Office on May 11, 2015. Her team was hoping to use her name (Robyn Rihanna Fenty) for an online feature magazine, according to the filing secured by Page Six.

”[Rihanna’s] registration is likely to cause dilution by blurring and tarnishing the famous opposer’s mark,” DC's complaint states. Adding that the publication “is likely to cause confusion, cause mistake, or to deceive the public."

Robin first appeared in the superhero franchise in 1940.

Batman is reportedly distraught over the subject and declined several requests for comment. The Joker, on the other hand, called Robin a "rude boy."
Blogger Tricks

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Wolverine 3 will be Hugh Jackman last time as Wolverine, says Hugh Jackman

Hugh Jackman has played Wolverine in seven movies now. Jackman’s role in the original X-Men trilogy led to mainstream stardom, and in the near-decade since X-Men: The Last Stand, the actor has oscillated between carrying his own solo spinoff series and appearing in the period-piece prequel series. A third Wolverine film will arrive in 2017—and according to Jackman, it will mark the end of his time playing the clawed Canadian badass with a healing factor that can cure everything. (Except his broken heart. Only time travel can cure a broken heart.)

“This will be my last one,” Jackman tells Dr. Oz, and now pause to imagine the futuristic utopia we apparently live in, where superhero-movie announcements happen on syndicated alt-medical talk shows. “It is my last time,” Jackman reiterates. “It felt like it was the right time to do it. Seventeen years, I never thought in a million years it would last this long.”

Jackman didn’t reveal anything about Wolverine 3’s plot. Behind-the-scenes, the current plan is to reteam Jackman with James Mangold, the journeyman director who gave 2013’s The Wolverine a lean, mean charm; as of last month, screenwriter Michael Green is working on the screenplay. There’s no shortage of “final” Wolverine stories in comic-book lore. The vaguely popular Old Man Logan imagined a grizzled elderly Wolverine living in a bleak future Sacramento, while last year’s Death of Wolverine story arc robbed Wolverine of his healing factor and sent him on a spirit journey throughout his history as a superhero.

Jackman’s rumored to appear in next year’s X-Men: Apocalypse, alongside the 500 other people playing mutants. That would bring his total comic-book-movie count up to nine, currently a record for leading-man superheroes. Downey’s on his tail, though: Counting his cameo in Incredible Hulk and assuming no major narrative twists, Tony Stark will have appeared in nine movies after 2019’s Infinity War: Part 2.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Singapore PM shares code for Sudoku puzzle solver

Singapore's prime minister has revealed his computer programming skills by publishing code he wrote to solve Sudoku puzzles, on his Facebook page.

At the launch of a government technology initiative, Lee Hsien Loong said he had written the "pretty basic" computer program a few years ago.

On Facebook, he revealed he had written it in the C++ programming language, first widely used in the 1980s.
It has led to thousands of responses praising him for knowing how to code.

Mr Lee, who graduated from Cambridge University with a first-class degree in mathematics and a diploma in computer science, asked readers to tell him "if they found any bugs".

Many of the hundreds of comments the post has attracted have been from people from countries outside Singapore, admiring the Mr Lee's skills, with some lamenting the technical abilities of their own leaders.
Singapore's population has one of the highest levels of computer ownership in the world.
The government has been keen to present the island as a test bed for new technology innovations.
Mr Lee said it was imperative Singapore stayed ahead of the game when it came to technology and programming.

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Man 'buried 10-year-old daughter alive because she was a girl'

A man has been arrested for trying to bury his 10-year-old daughter alive because she was a girl.

Police say the shocking incident in Tripura, India, saw Abdul Hussein dig a pit in his back garden while his wife was out, and then put his daughter in the hole with her hands roped together and her mouth taped up.

Her dad is then said to have filled up the pit to chest level, with pictures showing the young girl with her arms and head above the dirt floor.

When Abdul's wife returned home he put a bamboo basket over their daughter's head, with the intention of burying her completely later on, NDTV reports.

But his wife began to question where the little girl was, and she was soon discovered by neighbours.

They are said to have beaten up the dad before calling police.

Abdul was then arrested, and now faces a charge of attempted murder.

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Referee Karl Hess' racist comment costs him job in ACC

Karl Hess is widely regarded as one of the best officials in college basketball but that didn't stop the ACC from terminating him this week after he made an inappropriate comment to a Wake Forest booster sitting courtside during a game against Louisville.

The booster, Mit Shah, the former chairman of the Wake Forest board of trustees, used his Twitter account to post a quote he attributed to Hess during the game.

"Karl Hess to me at the Wake-Louisville game tonight...'When I'm older I want to sit in your seat & watch your Egyptian ass ref a game' #Wow"

Shah is the CEO of an Atlanta-based hotel management company. He is of Indian descent but was born in the U.S. and grew up in North Carolina. Shah did not return messages from Yahoo Sports.

To this point, the ACC is the only league to terminate its relationship with Hess. It's a relationship that dates back more than two decades. Hess has reportedly withdrawn from assignments in the American and Southeastern Conferences for the rest of the season but had not done the same with the Big 12 and Big East as of Friday.

"It's a sad day and is devastating, but I'm responsible," Hess told ESPN.

While Hess is considered one of the better officials in the college game, he is a polarizing figure among fans because of previous incidents and his interactions with fans, coaches and players during games.

Hess was reprimanded in 2012 by the ACC for the failing to follow the league's protocol for ejecting spectators in a game between Florida State and North Carolina State. Hess ejected former North Carolina State stars Tom Gugliotta and Chris Corchiani because they were badgering him about calls.

Monday, December 29, 2014

‘The Interview’ Tops YouTube Charts

The Interview is on top of YouTube’s Popular Right Now chart after being released online on Dec. 24 through four digital channels: Google Play,, Xbox Video, and YouTube Movies.

From a nationwide U.S. opening in 331 small and independent theaters, The Interview is thought to have taken in $1 million in Christmas day ticket stubs according to reports from both Variety and Deadline. The top earner in the same time period was the Angelina Jolie-directed war flick Unbroken (an estimated $15.6 million), followed by Disney’s musical Into the Woods ($13.6 million), and Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies ($12.7 million).

The Interview’s digital takings were almost certainly hurt by piracy. Although the hackers who targeted Sony Pictures didn’t release unfinished edits of the film online (as they did for both Annie and Fury), Internet users have noticed that the DRM on Sony’s official streaming site is woefully inadequate. Users who paid $5.99 to rent the film for 48 hours could simply copy and paste the site's URL to share the film with friends. Variety estimates that high-quality versions of the movie were torrented more than 900,000 times in the 24 hours after the film’s legitimate release.

Ferguson officer placed on unpaid leave after calling Michael Brown memorial 'a pile of trash'

The spokesman for the Ferguson, Mo., police department has been placed on unpaid leave after calling the makeshift memorial to slain black teenager Michael Brown a "pile of trash in the middle of the street" after it was destroyed.

Timothy Zoll, the Ferguson police public information officer, told the Washington Post that he wasn't sure the destruction of the memorial on Christmas night amounted to a crime.

"I don't know that a crime has occurred," Zoll said, according to the paper. "But a pile of trash in the middle of the street? The Washington Post is making a call over this?"

When asked about the remarks, Zoll told KMOX-TV that the Post had misquoted him.

According to a statement by the City of Ferguson released Saturday, Zoll initially denied making the comments to his superiors, too.

"Upon being confronted with the results of the Ferguson Police Department’s investigation regarding the remarks that were attributed to the Public Information Officer, the officer admitted to Department investigators that he did in fact make the remarks attributed to him, and that he misled his superiors when asked about the contents of the interview," the statement read.

Zoll was placed on unpaid leave pending "disciplinary proceedings." According to city records obtained by Yahoo News, Zoll been with the department for 12 years and earns an annual salary of $50,960.

"The City of Ferguson wants to emphasize that negative remarks about the Michael Brown memorial do not reflect the feelings of the Ferguson Police Department and are in direct contradiction to the efforts of City officials to relocate the memorial to a more secure location," the statement continued. "The Ferguson Police Department also wants to note that even after the officer’s initial denial of his statement; the Police Chief continued the investigation until the truth was discovered. The City of Ferguson and the Ferguson Police Department in particular, are focused on creating a trusting relationship with the entire community and taking impactful steps to improve the effectiveness of the department."

Meanwhile, residents have rebuilt the memorial on Canfield Drive near the site where Brown was fatally shot by a white police officer in August.

Islamic State executed nearly 2,000 people in six months: monitor

The Islamic State militant group has killed 1,878 people in Syria during the past six months, the majority of them civilians, a British-based Syrian monitoring organization said on Sunday.

 Islamic State also killed 120 of its own members, most of them foreign fighters trying to return home, in the last two months, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

The militant group has taken vast parts of Iraq and Syria and declared a caliphate in territory under its control in June. Since then it has fought the Syrian and Iraqi governments, other insurgents and Kurdish forces.

Rami Abdulrahman, the head of the Syrian monitoring group, told Reuters that Islamic State killed 1,175 civilians, including eight women and four children.

He said 930 of the civilians were members of the Sheitaat, a Sunni Muslim tribe from eastern Syria which fought Islamic State for control of two oilfields in August.

Reuters cannot independently verify the figures but Islamic State has publicized beheadings and stoning of many people in areas it controls in Syria and Iraq. These are for actions it sees as violating its reading of Islamic law, such as adultery, homosexuality, stealing and blasphemy.

The group, an offshoot of al Qaeda, has also released videos of executions of captured enemy fighters, activists and journalists.

It beheaded two U.S. journalists, and one American and two British aid workers this year in attempts to put pressure on a U.S.-led international coalition, which has been bombing its fighters in Syria since September.

Abdulrahman, who gathers information from all sides of the Syrian conflict, said that Islamic State had also executed 502 soldiers fighting for President Bashar al-Assad and 81 anti-Assad insurgents.

He said that 116 foreign fighters who had joined Islamic State but later wanted to return home, were executed in the Syrian provinces of Deir Al-Zor, Raqqa and Hassakeh since November. Four other Islamic State fighters were killed on other charges, Abdulrahman said.

The overwhelming number of the group's victims have been from the Syrian population.cracked down on peaceful pro-democracy protests in 2011.